New Zealand Day One: The Adventure Begins: Newark To Christchurch.

New Zealand Day One: The Adventure Begins: Newark To Christchurch.

Previous Post
Next Post

I am pleased to embark on another adventure which I can share with my blog followers. This time I am blessed to be typing this blog entry from Terminal C at the Newark International Airport on my way to New Zealand.airplane at airport

I am a bit   anxious about this trip. It will be for three weeks. This is a long time to leave my law practice. However, this is not what is causing my anxiety. I know my nephew and law partner Charlie is more than capable of handling my clients and files. No, I am  more worried about the long flight and how it affects  some neck, shoulder and back issues I have been experiencing. And some  sinus issues. I have been having a lot of pain and discomfort in my sinuses when I fly.  And trip will include plenty of flying.  Well, for now  anyway,  the neck, shoulder and back pain  seems to have disappeared here in the airport. My spirit of adventure has, temporally  masked  the pain. I hope it lasts.  I will know once the long  flights are over. hotel at airport

I left my office in West Hazleton around 9:30 a.m. There was not much  traffic on my drive to the airport. I traveled the 128 miles to the Newark airport  in under two hours. It was a reflective drive.  I parked my car at the Springhill Suites  Marriot near the airport and was soon  transferred by shuttle to the terminal. After quickly clearing security  I was surprised to find a  newly renovated  Terminal C. Everything was modern including all of the food services which were now computerized. You could only order food using a computer at the counter or seat. I didn’t like it. I like to chat with the waitresses. 

However I did figure  out how to order,  and had an acceptable, but expensive,  lunch at Surf, across from my boarding gate. I spent some time enjoying my favorite  airport activity, people watching. 

Well, I am now typing somewhere over the Midwest, using the on and off again  in-flight internet.   My flight boarded smoothly and we took off on time.   I am seated in the last row of the plane, in a window seat . I always try to get a window seat . I still love to watch the scenery pass below. Unfortunately, it is cloudy now but I did get some nice views of Newark Harbor and New York City on takeoff. I am about an hour, and 493 miles into the flight and so far no problems with  the back, neck or shoulder. Still a long way to go.

I am now over the Rockies and have internet again. I am always mesmerized by breathtaking scenery of the Rockies every time I fly across the country. They never get old.

The flight has gone well. There is an empty middle seat between me and the aisle passenger so I was able to stretch out a bit. So far very little discomfort. I passed the time reading about New Zealand and looking for breaks in the clouds. There weren’t many except  for a long portion of I believe western Nebraska. 

I was glad the clouds cleared over the Rockies. We have been following the sun westward but it it getting ahead of us. There are more clouds, capturing the lowering sun as it begins to set. 

I’m only about an hour from  San Francisco, where I have an hour to catch my next flight. A 13 hour flight  to Auckland. I am hoping there is  internet. And another empty middle seat. Signing off for now.

And I am almost there. Somewhere over the south Pacific,  three hours from Auckland.  I was able to get a few hours sleep and the neck, back and shoulder are holding up. So, I last wrote as we neared San Francisco. I was treated to a spectacular view of the snow covered Sierra  Nevada mountains. I remember reading about them in my grade school Geography class. I also remembered my visit to Yosemite National Park and decided I have to explore this area again. So much to see and so little time.

We arrived in the City By The Bay ahead of schedule. And my flight to Auckland was delayed. The crew was stuck in traffic!!! Seriously. So I had some time to explore the airport and grab a bite to eat. I had an awesome meal of salmon teriyaki and miso soup at the Tomokazu Vietnamese Restaurant.

We were delayed an hour.  The flight was full but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the middle seat next to me was empty for the flight. I chatted a bit with the woman in the aisle about our good luck. I, of course, had the window seat. 

It is  a 13 hour flight but I really haven’t minded it so far. I actually slept about four hours. I awoke somewhere near the equator and was treated with a beautiful of the constellation Orion sitting on its side. The crew of New Zealand air have been nice. We are on a Boeing B777 and I love the book shelf  wallpaper in the bathrooms. So now it’s  time to try to sleep again. My next paragraph should be from New Zealand.

Well I am now finishing this boring post here in Christchurch New Zealand. I am just back from visiting the botanical gardens. Awesome. I am tired and hungry so I will be quick.  We landed late in Auckland because of the delay.

I had to rush through customs and learn my next flight was in another terminal. The man at the information desk told me to walk outside and follow the green line. Seriously. He said it’s a five-minute walk. Well 15 minutes later I arrived at the terminal. Not fun and late.

Needless to say I tried to check my luggage and knew I wouldn’t make the flight if I did. After some effort I finally got some help and also some assistance going through another security check. I made my flight again, as the door closed. It was a nice one and  1 /2  hour flight to Christchurch. It was cloudy most of the way but cleared as we approached the south Island.

I soon was in this very quiet  airport. More on my visit to Christchurch later. Here is a link to some more photographs from my long adventure from Pennsylvania to New Zealand. New Zealand Day One Travel February 5 and 6 2019.


“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” 
― Leonardo da Vinci

This is my first post