Norway Day Seven: Back At Sea, Another Cruise On The MS Finnmark

Norway Day Seven: Back At Sea, Another Cruise On The MS Finnmark

Norway Day Seven Finnmark day (30 of 43)
Previous Post
Next Post

On Wednesday morning I once again awoke in Norway without having seen the midnight sun. I was up early, the MS Finnmark was scheduled  to depart Honningsvåg at 5:45 a.m. for my cruise back to Tromso.  I walked to the dock 1/2 hour early in a windy snow shower.

I thought the ship would be in port and I could board early like I did in Tromso. I was wrong. I waited dockside  in the cold and snow for the ship to arrive. It entered the harbor around 5:30. Here is a link to a video of the ship’s  arrival.

It slowly made it’s way into the  port and was at dockside at 5:40. In five minutes a group of tourists got off and I boarded the ship. We departed Honningsvåg right on time at 5:45.

I was soon in my small cabin for the 17 voyage. This was a smaller cabin one without a window. This turned out to be a good thing. After settling in with my luggage I left the cabin and headed to the upper deck. I wanted to take in scenery as we cruised south. Surprisingly, the strong winds brought an end to the snow and there were actually breaks in the clouds. 

How different the mountains looked with a little sunshine. 

However it was also very windy and cold. Temperatures were near freezing. It was not pleasant standing on the windy deck. 

But it was good to see blue skies again.

The weather soon turned cloudy and rainy and the mountains were again shrouded in clouds and fog. 

I was getting hungry and headed inside to enjoy another sumptuous breakfast on the ship. 

After breakfast I spent some time exploring the ship and venturing outside to watch the changing scenery. Here is a link to some more photographs from my morning on the MS Finnmark. Norway Day Seven. MS Finnmark June 6 2018.

I learned that we would be visiting the town of Hammerfest and we could leave the ship for 45 minutes. I was excited. I always love to explore so I was one of the first in line to leave the ship.

Of course, it was raining again. That didn’t stop me and a number of other passengers from visiting this  northern city. 

I walked around the center of town in the cold rain.

As always, I wish I had more time to explore but I didn’t. I decided to hike to the top of the 1000 foot mountain overlooking the town.

I was treated to spectacular views as I climbed the hillside.

I made it to the top but was reminded I am not a kid anymore. I was tired and my back still sore. 

It was a lot easier walking back to the ship and I arrived just on time. I wanted to check out the Polar Bear Club but was told the Captain was leaving in 20 seconds. I quickly climbed aboard the ship. Here is a link to some more photographs from my short visit to Hammerfest. Norway Day Seven. North Cape to Tromso: Hammerfest. June 6 2018.

After our visit to Hammerfest I had a light lunch. I returned to my cabin to work on my blog and try to get a little sleep. I was able to get a couple of hours sleep because if the darkness in the windowless cabin. I awoke and was soon back on the cold and rainy decks of the ship watching the arctic scenery. 

I also attended a very informative presentation on sea eagles given by the ships staff. 

I returned to my cabin and edited photographs until dinner. I had a rather late seating at 8:30 p.m. It was worth the wait. I had a nice meal if soup, local coal fish, coal fish potatoes and vegetables

and an interesting desert of cream of barley and wild berries.cream of barley and wild berry dessert

While eating we cruised past a small town were we were greeted by flag waving local residents.

I returned to the deck for the last few hours if the voyage and enjoyed some fresh shrimp

fresh shrimpprovided by local fisherman.a barrel of fresh shrimp

I wish the sun was shining but it was still a nice evening in the cold, windy and rainy Norwegian   evening. 

We approached  Tromso after 11:30 p.m and I watched as we cruised past some now familiar sights, including the famous Arctic Cathedral which I didn’t get to visit. Arctic Cathedral

We docked in Tromso near midnight. It was still light but no midnight sun. clouds at midnight

I walked about a half mile under the cloudy but still light arctic skies to the Scandic  Grand Hotel.  After checking in I was soon in bed once again without seeing the midnight sun. It was still another wonderful day of  travel in Norway. Here is a link to some more photographs from my cruise back to Tromso.  Norway Day Seven: North Cape to Tromso evening. June 6 2018. bridge in Tromso

“Hark, now hear the sailors cry, 
Smell the sea, and feel the sky,
Let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic.
– Into the Mystic” 
― Van Morrison,